Ten-Keyless keyboards, also known as TKL or tenkeyless, are rising in popularity amongst gamers (and programmers!) for a variety of reasons; some need more desk real estate for ever-growing mousepads, others don’t use the numpad to begin with and see it as a waste, and others still simply enjoy the aesthetic look and feel of a shorter keyboard. Regardless of how you got here, the following list is the definitive list of the best TKL gaming keyboards on the market today – as determined by reviews and user testimony.
The Top-Rated TKL Keyboards for Gaming
|Top Pick||Cooler Master MK730||90%|
|Runner-Up||Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition||89%|
|Budget Pick||PICTEK TKL||85%|
|Luxury Pick||Logitech G915 TKL||93%|
|HyperX Alloy FPS Pro||91%|
Top Pick: Cooler Master MK730
- Cherry MX switches 100 percent Genuine switches good for 50 million keystrokes and available in tactile, linear or click
- Brushed aluminum, compact form keyless design with slim profile and floating switches
- Rib Backlighting with light bar illuminate your keyboard with lighting effects in 16. 7 million colors
- Removable magnetic wrist rest for superior comfort during long gaming sessions
- On the fly adjustment of settings full control of lighting, macros and profiles all without the need of software
The Cooler Master MK730 is one sexy keyboard! Describing their look as “minimalistic and distraction-free”, Cooler Master have fitted this brushed-aluminum keyboard with a slim base and floating key design that absolutely oozes understated style. When the RGB is in effect, it looks even better.
Speaking of which, perhaps the best feature of this board is it’s no-software approach to customization and programming – everything can be done on the board itself, and saved to onboard memory! Other thoughtful design touches include removable wrist rest and USB-C cable, an RGB light bar and your choice of Red, Blue or Brown Cherry MX switches.
If you want the best-looking TKL on the market, this is the one for you!
Runner-Up: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
- The #1 Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc. U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Keyboards, Mice, PC Headset/Pc Microphone, Gaming Designed, based on dollar sales, 2017-2021
- Faster Than Traditional Mechanical Switches: Razer Linear Optical switch technology uses optical beam-based actuation, registering key presses at the speed of light (15-30% shorter actuation distance than other linear switches at 1.0 millimeter)
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Fully syncs with popular games, Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30+ partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Quality, Aluminum Construction: Covered with a matte, aluminum top frame for increased structural integrity
- Tournament-Ready Design: A tenkeyless design with a detachable USB-C cable provides a portable form-factor for on-the-go gamers
The Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition is another nigh-flawless performer that any TKL seeker should have on their radar! The star of the show here is Razer’s newest, most advanced optical mechanical switches; while this might sound like some sort of marketing lingo gimmick, this new technology actually allows for switches that actuate faster than any others on the market – and the low-friction nature of the mechanism means these keys are rated for longer life than any others in the world!
Other key touches include a removable USB-C cable, Razer Chroma integration allows for fully programmable keys and per-keyRGB lighting, as well as synchronization with Razer’s entire lineup of products, and your choice of clicky or linear switches.
Budget Pick: PICTEK TKL
- 【27 Rainbow LED Backlit Modes】Pictek backlit keyboard is equipped with double-shot injection molded keycaps, which offers crystal clear uniform backlight and ensures lettering that doesn't scratch off. Features rainbow color, multiple lighting modes, 5 backlight brightness levels, 5 breathing speed, 2 special backlit desgined for RTS and FPS games, extending better gaming experience for gamers. The keys are NOT rgb but each zone is a different color red, yellow, green, blue, purple you cannot change them.
- 【Blue Equivalent Switches for Quicker Click Response】Adopted professional equivalent switches, which offers quicker and springier response, crisp click sound for spring typing enjoyment, precise tactile feedback for ultimate gaming performance. Comes with keycap puller for easy keycaps cleaning.
- 【Full Keys Anti-ghosting & 12 Multimedia Keys】All 87 keys are conflict-free is more friendly to user, ensuring smooth gaming experience. 12 shortcuts makes you easily access to the email, calculator, player, my computer, as well as other media controlling functions such as volume up/down, play/pause, stop, mute, previous/next track, more efficient during typing.
- 【Stronger Durability & Ergonomic Design】10, 000, 000 times keystrokes test ensures incredible durability, typing without any worries. Keycaps lean backward & forward design, anti-slip feet and foldable design meets your requirements for different typing scenes, helps to relieve fatigue for long hours gaming.
- 【Wide Application & Unparalleled After-sales Service】This wired gaming keyboard is very easy and portable to use, and it's widely compatible with Windows7/8/10/XP/Vista, Mac OS (note: multimedia shortcuts are not available in Mac OS system). Piteck promises 45 days money-back and 12-month free replace service, if with any problem, contact us freely, we will reply within 12 hours.
The PICTEK TKL is a real head-scratcher; it makes one wonder what provoked so many people to take a risk with such an unknown, unassuming and seemingly random peripheral maker when making such an important purchase – but the massive number of positive reviews means that the vast majority of those buyers are glad they took the chance!
The PICTEK TKL features thoughtful features such as stepped rows, anti-slip adjustable feet and Cherry-esque blue switches – all features one might expect to see only in much more expensive keyboards.
It can’t be overstated how positively GLOWING the user reviews on this one are! If you’re in the market for a cheap TKL, this one should be your first choice!
Luxury Pick: Logitech G915 TKL
- World’s No.1 Best Selling Wireless Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent aggregated sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Wireless Gaming Keyboard, Mice, & PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, ID, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- Lightspeed wireless delivers pro-grade performance with flexibility and freedom from cords. Creates a clean aesthetic for battle stations. Delivers 40 hours on a single full charge.
- Lightsync technology provides RGB lighting that synchronizes lighting with any content. Personalize each key or create custom animations from about 16.8M colors with Logitech G HUB software.
- Low Profile mechanical switches offers the speed, accuracy and performance of a mechanical switch at half the height The GL Clicky switch features a distinctive sound and tactile feedback. Comes in 3 options: GL Tactile, GL Linear or GL Clicky.
- Ten keyless design provides more room for mouse movement. Store the USB receiver in the back of the keyboard for additional portability.
The Logitech G915 TKL sees the world’s all-time leading PC peripheral manufacturer throwing everything imaginable in a compact keyboard; this is reflected in an asking price that’s nearly double that of anything else on this list!
Designed with traveling professional gamers in mind, no expense has been spared in pursuit of perfection. The Logitech G915 TKL features your wireless connection via dongle or Bluetooth – or wired if you prefer. The brushed aluminum body has dedicated media keys, including Logitech’s signature roller key. Most unique of all is the pair of a low-profile frame with low-profile keys, resulting in one of the slimmest and sleekest boards you’ve ever seen!
Top this all off with your choice of clicky, tactile and linear switches, and you’ve got the perfect TKL!
Best Sleeper: HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
- Ultra minimalistic ten keyless (TKL) design ideal for FPS pro
- Cherry MX mechanical key switches
- Portable design with detachable cable
- Game mode 100 per cent anti-ghosting and N key rollover functions
- HyperX red backlit keys with dynamic lighting effects
The HyperX Alloy FPS Pro is the best TKL for gamers who don’t want their gaming gear to look like gaming gear! Featuring an all-black, classic design with sleek red lighting and and a detachable USB cable, the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro appears to be a simple yet slightly upscale board at first glance.
What lies beneath the surface is your choice of Cherry MX Red or Blue switches! If you’re looking to go minimalist, this is a great pick!
What to Look for in a TKL Gaming Keyboard
TKL keyboards are starting to grow in market share, and more manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon regularly; it’s getting harder to separate the good from bad, but you can stay on target if you focus your search to following:
First and foremost, you need a great keyboard for gaming; the reduced footprint needs to be the second consideration! Great switches, keycaps and functionality needn’t take a backseat to your taste in smaller boards – and they don’t have to!
Not all manufacturers use the standard terminology to define their boards. Some use 80%, 87-key, or eschew descriptors altogether in favor of simply branding their TKL boards with a name and leaving it at that! It’s important to have a good look at the board you’re considering to make sure you aren’t buying a board that’s shaved-off many more keys, such as the function row or directional arrows, like a 60% keyboard!
Most mid-high-end gaming keyboards offer buyers a choice of switch types between variations in resistance and “clickiness”. For pure gaming purposes, more tactility is usually considered to be a good thing, but make sure you’re getting the right board for your preferences and don’t just choose the generic “everyman” option!
Last Updated on March 1, 2021