Traditional mice tend to keep your hand in an unnatural position over long periods of time and cause hand pain, which can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). The best solution to this problem is to purchase an ergonomic mouse, which can also help with elbow, finger, and joint pain.
In this article you will find some of the best ergonomic mice specifically built to ease hand pain and prevent CTS long term:
The Top-Rated Mice for Hand Pain
|Top Pick||Logitech MX Ergo||91%|
|Runner Up||Kensington Pro Fit Ergo||90%|
|Budget Pick||MOJO Silent||88%|
|Luxury Pick||Evoluent VMDMW VerticalMouse D||93%|
|Best for Large Hands||AUTLEY Wireless Ergonomic||91%|
|Best for Small Hands||Jelly Comb Wireless||91%|
Top Pick: Logitech MX Ergo
- Ergonomic sculpted design - unique adjustable hinge allows you to customize the trackball angle from 0 to 20 degrees for a more natural, comfortable hand position, and reduced muscle strain
- Cross-computer control- game-changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on 2 computers, and copy-paste text, images, and files from one to the other using Logitech flow
- Dual connectivity- use with up to 3 Windows or Mac computers via included Unifying receiver or Bluetooth smart wireless technology
- Rechargeable battery- up to 70 days of power on a single charge; Nominal value : 380 dpi
- Precision scroll-wheel - tilt and middle click wheel allows for precise scrolling and other Convenient controls such as horizontal scrolling
The Logitech MX Ergo is an excellent ergonomic mouse to help with or prevent hand pain. Logitech is known for its high-quality products, and this one is no different. It’s hefty and made of dense plastic, giving it a premium feel. Also, thanks to its shape, it contours very well to your hand, making it very comfortable.
The ergonomics of the mouse are outstanding. The trackball allows you to move your mouse cursor without needing to move the mouse, virtually eliminating any wrist strain. Just make sure to keep it clean to not hamper accuracy. Furthermore, the adjustable hinge allows you to tilt your mouse up to 20 degrees, which keeps your hand in a more natural position and reduces overall pain.
The MX Ergo has an excellent sensor and the standard mouse buttons, including a precision button for increased cursor accuracy. Thanks to Logitech’s Flow technology you can connect to two devices simultaneously, via Bluetooth or wireless transmission, and transfer files from one to another seamlessly. Finally, the battery on the mouse will last for a few months with normal use, so you can pretty much charge it and forget it.
Runner-Up: Kensington Pro Fit Ergo
- Ergonomist-Approved Design – All-day comfort is provided through an ergo design with a 60° tilt and natural handshake position to improve wrist and forearm position
- Easy to Use – Uses the same left click right click and scroll wheel operation as a traditional mouse while providing the advantages of a trackball with a simple roll of the thumb
- Premium Precision & Speed – The high-quality optical tracking sensor 34mm thumb-operated trackball and triple DPI switch provide smooth cursor control optimal precision and easy cursor speed transitions
- Flexible Wireless Connection Options – Connect your vertical trackball to up to 3 different devices – one via the 2 4GHz nano dongle that stows inside the trackball body and two additional connections via Bluetooth
- Plug & Play or Customize – Experience plug and play default settings or use KensingtonWorks software to set pointer and scrolling options and professionally customize 9 programmable buttons to tackle common tasks with one touch
The Kensington Pro Fit Ergo is a hybrid between a vertical and a trackball mouse. Its design is simplistic with a matte black finish. The plastic construction feels solid for the price. The mouse requires two AA batteries to operate, which are included in the box.
The unique form factor of the Pro Fit Ergo allows it to have all the benefits of a vertical and a trackball mouse. The verticality ensures your hand and wrist are at an almost “handshake” position, minimizing wrist strain, and the ability to move your cursor with the trackball eliminates the need for hand movement. The mouse features the standard 6 buttons as well as three additional buttons on the bottom.
Two of those additional buttons are fully programmable, while the third is to switch between devices. The Pro Fit can be connected to three devices simultaneously, two via Bluetooth, and one using the included USB dongle. The mouse comes with a high quality optical sensor, for precise tracking on most surfaces. Also, the batteries claim up to 18 months of use, though your mileage may vary.
Budget Pick: MOJO Silent
- Comfortable and ergonomic grip. Bluetooth wireless connection - No USB dongle required!
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux (to use this mouse with an iPhone or iPad you must update to iOS 13 or above)
- Number of Buttons: 6 (plus scroll wheel), all silent, Powered by 2xAAA batteries (included)
- Adjustable DPI/sensitivity button, Bluetooth pairing button, Low battery indicator, Next/Last Page (for web browsing), DPI Range: 800 - 1200 - 1600, Polling Rate: 125Hz
- Dimensions: 4.7" (L) x 2.7" (W) x 2.6" (H), Weight: 4.2 oz
The MOJO Silent is an affordable vertical mouse that was designed to be comfortable and perform well for everyday tasks without costing a fortune. This is evident in its basic design but the build quality is very good for the price. The mouse comes bundled with the two AAA batteries you will need and also features a low battery indicator.
The vertical design of the MOJO Silent forces your hand to assume the natural “handshake” position which prevents tension on your wrist tendons, thus eliminating any hand pain. One of the main selling points of the MOJO is its silent buttons. These are especially useful if you work in an office environment or simply prefer to work silently.
The MOJO Silent can be connected to two devices via Bluetooth or a USB dongle and is compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, Android and iOS, so you can use it with pretty much any device you have. The mouse is equipped with an optical sensor that performs well and has three different DPI settings to suit your needs.
Luxury Pick: Evoluent VMDMW VerticalMouse D
- PREVENTS WRIST DISCOMFORT - Evoluent's ergonomic VMDMW gently supports your right hand in an upright neutral position. The patented shape prevents you from twisting your forearm like what you usually do with an ordinary mouse. ALSO AVAILABLE in Small (VMDSW) and Large (VMDLW). The Size Chart for hand size has been updated as of 1/8/21
- PROGRAM YOUR MOUSE TO YOUR NEEDS - Install the Evoluent Mouse Manager onto your computer to configure the VerticalMouse's buttons. Not only can you change their function but you can also set how the buttons work within different programs. CONNECTIONS: Wireless USB Receiver
- GROOVED BUTTONS - Your fingertips rest in a shallow groove on the buttons. This patented innovation secures the mouse in your hands and makes moving it much more precise.
- ADJUST MOUSE-SPEED FROM LOW TO HIGH - You can adjust the pointer speed from low to high with the optical sensor controls on the side of the mouse. There is no need to release the grip for speed adjustment.
- HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY: VerticalMouse is plug-n-play compatible with all operating systems that support USB. Basic button and wheel functions work without additional drivers. SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY: VerticalMouse comes with Mouse Manager software for customizing the buttons. Mouse Manager is compatible with: Windows 7 and 10 Mac OS 10.5 to 10.14 (update for 10.15 is under development. Third party software may be used in place of Mouse Manager for OS 10.15.)
The VerticalMouse D is Evoluent’s latest product in a long-standing line of vertical mice. Evoluent released the first vertical mouse on the market back in 2002 and has always produced top quality ergonomic mice. The design has remained similar to the original, and the build quality is top-notch with no creaking. The mouse is available in different sizes to choose from, including options for left-handed users.
Evoluent’s mice are made to contour to your hands perfectly, allowing you to rest your palm comfortably in a natural position, removing all the strain applied to your wrist. Also, the reshaped thumb rest and pinky rest provide added comfort. The button layout is similar to other mice and the buttons themselves are well separated so you don’t have to overstretch to reach them.
The Evoluent uses a laser sensor with great performance, so you can use your mouse on any surface. What really shines, though, is the software, which allows you to customize all the buttons on the mouse to perform different tasks from copying and pasting to side scrolling and screen dimming, making it ideal for power users.
Best for Large Hands: AUTLEY Wireless Ergonomic
- ✅【Unique Ergonomic Design】The unique ergonomic shape closely supports your palm, the proper vertical design that keeps your hand and arm staying more naturally. Effectively reduces the wrist strain and pain, compared with a regular mouse. (Note: it is right-handed mouse)
- ✅【Large Size】This ergonomic mouse size is Great for Large hands/Men's hands, may be NOT very comfortable to Women or Small Hands. It may take several days to get used to. If it does not fit your hand well, ✉contact us for refund without any hassle at any time.
- ✅【3 Different Sensitivity】800/1200/1600 DPI, switched by DPI button. Built-in rechargeable Li-battery. The mouse works while charging. 2.4G wireless connection, no wire hassle.
- ✅【Easy to Use】Plug and play. Compatible with Windows 8/7/10/Vista/XP/2000, Mac, Linux (NOTE: Both forward and backward buttons are not recognized on Mac).
- ✅【Customer Service】With AUTLEY, **90 Day Money-back Support, **1-Year Replacement Service, **Lifetime Technical Support. If you are not satisfied with this item, ✉welcome to contact us for help via Amazon message or customer support on user manual, even if your order is over one month return window.
The AUTLEY Wireless Ergonomic mouse is designed to offer an ergonomic option for people with bigger hands that have hand pain problems. The mouse has a bulkier build and is constructed of soft plastic that feels very nice to touch and has a matte finish to help with fingerprints. It also has a good weight without being uncomfortable.
The rather unique shape of the AUTLEY will fit to your hand with no problem and will help you maintain an almost “handshake” position, which is ideal to reduce hand pain. The mouse features six buttons, including a button for DPI and two large navigation buttons.
The AUTLEY is compatible with Windows, Linux and macOS, however the navigation buttons do not work on macOS so keep that in mind. Its optical sensor tracks with great accuracy, which you can also tailor to your liking with the three DPI settings. The mouse uses a built-in battery that should last for about a week, depending on how much you use the integrated blue light on the side.
Best for Small Hands: Jelly Comb Wireless
- ✔ Why Special : Unique Design - Reduce Tension - Scientific ergonomic design encourages healthy neutral "handshake" wrist and arm positions for smoother movement and less overall strain. It does take some time to get used to using a mouse at a different angle. Once you get used to it, you will love it so much !
- ✔ High Responsiveness: 800 / 1200 / 1600 DPI Resolution Optical Tracking Technology provides more sensitivity than standard optical mice for smooth and precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces, Sensitive Mouse Click with Less Noise. 【 Please confirm the size before buying it. 】
- ✔ Advance Functionality: Added next / previous buttons provide convenience when web page browsing; The superior choice for internet surfers, gamers and people who work at the computer. 【 Note: The vertical mouse can not fully compatible with Macbook, Mac os x operating system. The backward and forward browsing buttons will not work, and the scrolling is contrary to Mac. Because Apple company product only support its own system 】
- ✔ Wide Compatibility: Compatible with most system including Windows 7 / 8 / 10, XP, Vista and Linux. Fit for Notebook, PC, Laptop, Computer, and other device. 【 Not fully compatible with Apple products 】
- ✔ What You Get : One Jelly Comb Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse, one 2.4G USB receiver ( In the Bottom of the Mouse, Plug & Play).
The Jelly Comb Wireless is a compact vertical mouse for people who have smaller hands or simply prefer using smaller mice. Its compact design also makes it travel friendly and ideal for use on the go, as you can just throw it into any compartment of a backpack. It also has the build quality to sustain such abuse and should last you for a while.
The design and shape of the mouse contour to your hand and give you a perfect fit. This will help you alleviate some of the pain in your hands during prolonged use. The buttons are well placed on the mouse, especially the web navigation buttons, which can be easily reached with your thumb.
The Jelly Comb comes in two different versions, one with a built-in rechargeable battery and one that uses a single AA battery. There are also a few colors to choose from, including a fancy green one. It’s compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux, and connects via a USB dongle that you can store in a special compartment on the bottom of the mouse.
What to Look for in a Mouse
If you want to buy a new ergonomic mouse to prevent hand strain, then you need to consider the following:
The sole purpose of buying an ergonomic mouse is to get improved comfort over long periods of working. In order to eliminate hand pain and prevent CTS you either need a vertical mouse to keep your hand in its natural position when working, or a trackball mouse to limit unnecessary wrist movements
An ergonomic mouse should have a good build quality with enough weight to not feel cheap, but not too heavy making it uncomfortable. The more money you spend, the better build quality you will get, so it’s a good idea to invest in a good quality one to last you for years.
You’re buying a mouse first and foremost, so you want to be able to use it properly. It should have a good sensor and be able to track accurately without stuttering across multiple surfaces. Also, it needs to have a good battery life so you don’t have to charge it too often.
Last Updated on March 1, 2021