When using a computer mouse for long periods of time, you will be inevitably clicking a lot which can cause pain in your fingers and lead to conditions such as mouse finger or trigger finger.
The solution to these problems is an ergonomic mouse. Although there are different kinds of ergonomic mice, designed to tackle elbow, hand, and even joint pain, we’ve singled out the absolute best mice specifically for finger pain:
The Top-Rated Mice for Finger Pain
|Top Pick||Goldtouch Rockstick 2||91%|
|Runner Up||J-Tech Digital V628X||90%|
|Budget Pick||Jelly Comb MV021B||89%|
|Luxury Pick||Logitech MX Vertical||92%|
|Also Great||3M Ergonomic||91%|
|Best Trackball||Kensington Expert||91%|
Top Pick: Goldtouch Rockstick 2
The Goldtouch Rockstick 2 has a distinctive joystick design that distinguishes it from any other mouse on the market. It’s lightweight and compact, so you can take it anywhere you go and is made of soft but durable plastic. The mouse is ambidextrous, so you can alternate between your two hands, and comes in a medium and large size to fit many user’s hands.
The unique joystick design of the Rockstick 2 allows you to rest your hand on it for superior comfort. The key selling point of the mouse is its clicking mechanism which uses your whole hand to rock the mouse left and right for left and right click respectively. This eliminates the need to use your fingers, thus preventing any sort of finger pain from occurring. Also, the scroll wheel is operated by your thumb for even more comfort.
The Rockstick 2 will pair to your Windows or Mac computer via the included 2.4 GHz USB dongle, and the mouse offers 4 DPI settings to choose from. Because of the clicking mechanism, precise clicking can’t always be achieved, but the overall superior ergonomics more than make up for it.
Runner-Up: J-Tech Digital V628X
- √ CHOOSE YOUR ANGLE – The adjustable tilt on the V628X allows you to achieve the maximum comfort and ergonomic benefits from your mouse in finding a position that allows your hand to work in its natural and most comfortable posture. Tilt the angle of the mouse from a range of 53 to 73 degrees to adjust the vertical positioning to your liking.
- √ MODIFY USING INCLUDED SOFTWARE – Utilizing the included software (for Windows only) we offer with this mouse, users can modify the mouse to their liking, by changing the DPI setting, button commands, macros, LED settings and more.
- √ 4 ADJUSTABLE DPI SETTINGS – Switch between DPI levels 600, 1200, 2000 and 4000 to adjust mouse responsiveness depending on your need and/or preference. Optical Tracking Technology ensures greater sensitivity for precise tracking on a wide range of surfaces.
- √ RGB LED AND PRESET LIGHTING EFFECTS – Customize the color of the LED backlight on this mouse and select the pulsating pattern and color alteration to your unique preference.
- √ WIDE COMPATIBILITY & FREE LIFETIME SUPPORT – Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS (only basic functions, NO software available). All J-Tech Digital Products include a One-Year Manufacturer Warranty and free lifetime technical support from our Customer Support Team located in Houston, Texas - Available M-F 9AM-6PM CST - Contact information available on the J-Tech Digital Seller Page.
The J-Tech Digital V628X has a rather unique design that sets it apart from its competition. The mouse is geared towards gamers and, in general, people who want an ergonomic mouse with great performance. The build quality is on the cheap side and the mouse is quite heavy, but the features make up for it.
The V628X can be tilted up to 20 degrees to give you a perfectly ergonomic fit and ensure your fingers won’t hurt. What makes the mouse stand out is its large scroll wheel that can be operated both with your thumb and index finger, in case you are suffering from finger pain on one of the two. Other than that there are the standard click buttons and the navigation buttons, all of which are programmable.
The software of the mouse, which is used to configure the buttons and DPI, is available only on Windows, but thanks to the mouse’s onboard memory, you can have your settings even on a Mac computer. The sensor and button performance is excellent, as expected from a gaming mouse, and the RGB lighting adds an elegant element to the design.
Budget Pick: Jelly Comb MV021B
- ✔【TWO BLUETOOTH 4. 0+2. 4G WIRELESS CONNECTION 】：This wireless mouse has tri mode connection (BT4. 0+BT4. 0+2. 4G Wireless). It could support 3 device channels at the same and quickly switch between them through mode switch button. Two channel for BT 4. 0 connection offer 10M operation distance and auto reconnection. One channel for 2. 4Ghz USB Dongle with powerful and reliable connection, supports Plug and Play.
- ✔【CONVENIENT SIDE SCROLLWHEEL】：Compared with traditional mouse, this wirless mouse has a thumb-operated SCROLLWHEEL on the left side. With small movement of your thumb, you could easily scroll up and down on the screen. No need to move your wrist or fingers drastically. It does take some time to get used to using a mouse at a different angle. Once you get used to it, you will love it so much !
- ✔【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】：This Jelly Comb Ergonomic Wireless Mouse keeps your wrists and arms in a relaxed, neutral position. Arm neutral-Alleviates pressure in wrist joint and reduces risk of cramping. The size and shape fit for most hands to easily reach the mouse’s buttons. Dimension: 4. 54*3. 03*1. 85in
- ✔【Rechargeable battery & power-saving】: built-in durable 300mAh Lithium rechargeable battery can last for 1 -2month (1-2 hours per day use) after fully charged, and standby time is super long with auto sleep and wake mode. Easily recharged through the included USB cable, No need to change the battery.
- ✔ 【Universal Compatibility】: universally works with Windows, Android, Mac OS PC laptop desktop, etc. Bluetooth mode works with Windows/ Android/ Mac OS system, won't occupy any USB port. 2. 4GHz mode works with laptop, desktop or any device with USB port, simply Plug the USB Receiver into the USB port and you are ready to go. (Note: the USB Receiver is located on the bottom of the mouse)
The Jelly Comb MV021B has a simplistic design with a matte black finish. It has a great build quality with no creaks in the plastic and it’s very lightweight. It also has a compact size, making it very travel friendly and ideal for users with smaller hands. It’s also available in white if you prefer.
While the MV021B is not labeled as an ergonomic mouse, its ergonomics are very good, with a large hump to properly rest your palm, and a grooved thumb rest. The main selling point of this mouse is the ball-shaped scroll wheel on the side, operated by your thumb. This frees up your index finger from moving between the click button and scroll wheel constantly, which is the main cause of finger pain.
The mouse can connect to two devices via Bluetooth and one via the USB dongle, all at the same time. You can even use it with your phone as it supports Android devices as well.The sensor has good tracking and 3 different DPI settings to switch between. The built-in battery is rechargeable and should last you a few weeks with regular use.
Luxury Pick: Logitech MX Vertical
- ADVANCED ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Places your hand in a natural handshake position using a unique 57-degree angle, preventing forearm twisting and reducing muscular strain by 10 percent* (*As compared with a traditional non-vertical mouse. Based on Logitech Study, September 2017)
- HYPER-EFFICIENT TRACKING - 4000 DPI high-precision sensor provides precise tracking that requires 4x less hand movement compared to a traditional mouse with a 1000 DPI sensor
- CROSS-COMPUTER CONTROL - Game-changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on three computers, and copy-paste text, images, and files from one to the other using Logitech FLOW
- THREE WAYS TO CONNECT - Use with up to three Windows or Mac computers via included wireless USB unifying receiver or Bluetooth smart technology or the included USB-C charging cable
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY - With quick charging: Stays powered for 4 months on a full charge – and get 3 hours of use from a 1-minute quick charge (Battery life may vary based on user and computing conditions)
The Logitech MX Vertical is an ergonomic mouse designed to help relieve the stress on your hands, including finger pain. It’s very well built and contours to your hand, so you can rest your finger in a natural position. Also, its low weight and soft rubber finish in the thumb area add to the overall comfort.
Thanks to the ergonomic design of the MX Vertical, you need not apply much force with your fingers to move it, which helps with finger pain. It comes with a standard button layout, ensuring all the buttons are easy to reach and require little force so you don’t overstrain your fingers. The navigation buttons can also be programmed to functions of your choice to reduce unnecessary finger movement.
The MX Vertical has an excellent optical sensor that performs admirably on most surfaces with adjustable sensor speed. You can connect it to three devices using Bluetooth, the included USB dongle or the included USB C cable, which is also used for charging. The battery performance is also great, promising up to 4 months of daily use.
Also Great: 3M Ergonomic
- The 3M Ergonomic Mouse has earned an Ease-of-Use Commendation from the Arthritis Foundation for its patented, vertical grip design that keeps your hand and wrist at a neutral angle, while the mouse works as a regular optical mouse
- Vertical grip design that keeps your hand and wrist at a neutral angle, while the mouse works as a regular optical mouse
- Use your thumb to left and right click
- Optical sensor, USB/PS2 plug and play compatibility and a 6.5 feet
- 2 year warranty
The 3M Ergonomic has a peculiar design, as it is reminiscent of a classic joystick. Thanks to its design and build quality the mouse has won many awards. The mouse is designed for right handed users and comes in a small and large size. There is also a wireless version if you prefer.
Its joystick design ensures your hand will be in its natural “handshake” position easing some of the pain compared to classic mice. Also, clicking is done with your thumb instead of your index and middle finger. This is especially useful, as finger pain and conditions relate to repetitive index movement. There is also a button on the handle to be used for scrolling.
The wired version connects to your PC via a long USB cable, while the wireless operates on two AAA batteries and uses 2.4 GHz technology to pair up. The LED optical sensor comes with only one DPI setting but performs well enough. There is a big learning curve, but once you get used to it, the 3M will be your best friend for long hours of work.
Best Trackball: Kensington Expert
- Large 55mm ball design and Diamond Eye optical tracking for precise cursor control; Patented scroll ring lets you scan up and down pages with ease
- Detachable, ergonomic wrist rest supports hand and wrist for improved comfort; Ambidextrous design
- Customizable 4-button design, scroll speed and cursor speed via KensingtonWorks software
- ChromeOS user can get HID functions for a trackball but will not be able to customize their device through KensingtonWorks.
- Wired USB-A connection for reliable connectivity
The Kensington Expert is a trackball mouse designed to remain static on your desk. It has a premium build quality and the huge 55 mm ball is also very sturdy and feels good to operate. There is an included detachable wrist rest for added comfort and there is also a wireless option if you don’t mind the cost and don’t want to deal with wires.
The Kensington Expert’s design allows you to place it in the center of your desk and alternate between your right and left hand when one is starting to hurt. You can operate the trackball with your palm to reduce thumb pain compared to other trackball mice and the included scroll ring can be operated by your ring finger, freeing up your index and middle finger.
The trackball on the Expert is very accurate, provided you keep it clean and the scroll ring has a smooth operation. Through Kensington’s software, you can program the 4 additional buttons, the cursor speed and the scroll ring speed. If you opt for the wireless version, you’ll be happy to find Bluetooth or 2.4 GHz wireless connection and an auto sleep function to preserve battery.
What to Look for in a Mouse
When shopping for a new ergonomic mouse to help with finger pain, you need to think of a few factors:
Shape and Ergonomics
Since you are buying a mouse specifically for its ergonomics, this is the number one thing to consider. An anatomic shape that contours to your hand and keeps it in a natural position will go a long way in helping with finger pain.
Since finger pain is usually caused by repetitive index and middle finger movement, you want to look for mice with click buttons and scroll wheels operated by other fingers. If, instead, you are suffering from thumb pain, you want your thumb resting comfortably and not being used for anything.
Ergonomic mice can get pretty expensive and your wallet probably can’t afford to buy a new one every few months. That’s why you should be looking for mice that are well built to last you for many years and perform just like day one.
Last Updated on March 1, 2021