Generations of gamers have been locked in eternal debate as to whether certain games are better with controller or keyboard-and-mouse. Whereas most PC games have launched with controller support in recent years, console gamers have not been catered to in the same way. Luckily for them, there’s the Xim Apex, which allows you to use a keyboard and mouse on your console.
The following are the best keyboards to use with the peripheral according to user testimony from Xim’s official forums and buyers from Amazon!
The Best Keyboards for Xim Apex
|Top Pick||Razer Huntsman||90%|
|Runner Up||Logitech G613 LIGHTSPEED||88%|
|Budget Pick||Cherry KC 1000||84%|
|Luxury Pick||Logitech G915||92%|
|Best for Couch||Cooler Master SK621||88%|
|Best One-Handed||Razer Tartarus v2||87%|
Top Pick: Razer Huntsman
- The No.1 Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc., U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Gaming Designed: Keyboards, Mice, PC Headsets, and PC Microphones, Based on dollar sales, Jan. 2017- June 2020 combined
- Faster Than Legacy Mechanical Switches: Razer Optical switches use light-based actuation, registering key presses at the speed of light (30% shorter actuation distance than other clicky switches at 1.5 millimeter) with satisfying, clicky feedback
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Fully syncs with popular games, Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30+ partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Quality, Aluminum Construction: Covered with a matte, aluminum top frame for increased structural integrity
- Fully Programmable Macros: Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations be remapped to execute complex commands
The Razer Huntsman is perhaps the first thing that comes to a gamer’s mind when you ask for a keyboard recommendation, and it’s easy to see why! Perhaps the most award-winning keyboard in gaming history, the Huntsman’s opto-mechanical switches provide a quick, satisfying click that never seems to get old.
Speaking of never getting old – those keys are rated for 100 million keystrokes! Combined with Razer’s award-winning customer service, you can’t really go wrong with this keyboard for use with Xim Apex!
Runner-Up: Logitech G613 LIGHTSPEED
- Lightspeed: Wireless technology for super-fast 1 ms report rate
- Romer G mechanical switches deliver quiet, precise mechanical performance and 70 million click life for incredible feel and durability
- Six programmable G keys put custom macro sequences and in app commands at your fingertips. 1 Customize G key profiles individually for each app
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth enabled device with Windows 8 or later, Mac OS X 10.12 or later, Chrome OS, or Android 3.2 or later, iOS 10 or later
- G613 delivers up to 18 months of gaming on 2 x AA batteries. System requirements: Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X 10.10 or later, Chrome OS, Android 3.2 or later, USB port
The Logitech G613 LIGHTSPEED is yet another entry in the company’s storied history of delivering PC peripherals that satisfy with performance and longevity that is seldom rivaled and never topped.
This essential keyboard features 6 macro keys, mechanical switches and best of all – wireless connectivity with only 1ms latency! If you liked everything about the top pick, but want a wireless keyboard – go with this one!
Budget Pick: Cherry KC 1000
- CHERRY, KEYBOARD, KC1000, US LAYOUT, 104 KEY + 4 HOT KEYS, ABRASION RESISTANT KEY LABELLING, BLACK, USB, WHISPER QUIET KEYS
The Cherry KC 1000 serves as a refreshing reminder that you don’t always need to spend a fortune in order to get an enriching experience! This super-affordable keyboard boasts no frills or fancy features, but does indeed have one of the company’s legendary mechanical switches underneath every single key.
If you want to save a few bucks en route to gaming bliss, go with this pick!
Luxury Pick: Logitech G915
- Worlds NO. 1 Best Selling Wireless Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent aggregated sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Wireless Gaming Keyboard, Mice, & PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, ID, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- LIGHTSPEED wireless delivers pro-grade performance with flexibility and freedom from cords. Creates a clean aesthetics for battlestations. Delivers 30 hours on a single full charge.
- LIGHTSYNC technology provides next-gen RGB lighting that synchronizes lighting with any content. Personalize each key or create custom animations from ~16. 8M colors with Logitech G HUB software.
- Low Profile mechanical switches offers the speed, accuracy and performance of a mechanical switch at half the height. The GL Clicky switch features a distinctive sound and tactile feedback. Comes in 3 options: GL Tactile, GL Linear or GL Clicky.
- Beautifully crafted, the G915 uses aircraft-grade aluminum alloy to deliver incredibly thin but rigid and durable design.
The Logitech G915 is for those who think to themselves “I’ve already spent a hefty sum on the Xim Apex; I may as well splurge on a great keyboard as well!”
This uncompromising wireless RGB keyboard is made of aircraft grade-aluminum and features your choice of clicky, linear or tactile switches. Speaking of which, the Lightspeed version of this keyboard features on our guide to the best keyboards for flight sim!
The rechargeable battery boasts 30 hours of play on a 3-hour charge, and the 5 customizable buttons can be loaded with macros of your design.
If you want an uncompromising experience, go with this one!
Best for Couch: Cooler Master SK621
- Two Keycap Sets: Slightly contoured and flat set, or go with the traditional keycap profile set for that familiar look and touch
- Cherry MX Low Profile Switches: A reduced travel distance and actuation point with the same signature durability and precision
- Brushed Aluminum Design: Slim top plate, floating keycaps, and minimalistic, tenkeyless design built with functionality in mind
- Keep It Light with LEDs: Keep the lightshow going with per-key backlighting and surrounding lightbars with endless customization
- On-the-Fly Controls: Make real-time adjustments to lighting and macros with no software necessary
The Cooler Master SK621 is the most ideal keyboard for those who will be using their Xim Apex for long hours from the comfort of their couch! This 60% mechanical keyboard eschews the numpad and other superfluous keys in favor of a smaller, more streamlined format that is ideal lap usage.
This little powerhouse doesn’t skimp on the features though – included are 2 sets of keycaps so you can choose between flat and contoured, RGB lighting, and macro keys!
Best One-Handed: Razer Tartarus v2
- Designed from the ground up specifically for gaming, the all-new Razer Mechanical Switches have an optimized set of actuation and reset points to improve your gaming performance
- Arm yourself with 20 fully programmable mechanical keys for more skills, hotkeys, and macros. You can also program the 8-way directional thumb-pad to take your gaming to the next level
- The Razer Orbweaver Chroma features individually programmable backlit keys with 16.8 million color options, all easily set through Razer Synapse
- The Razer Orbweaver Chroma was designed with adjustable, hand, thumb and palm-rest modules to let you customize the most comfortable experience with the keypad during marathon gaming sessions
The Razer Tartarus v2 is a unique specimen amongst gaming keyboards in that it is designed from the ground-up to be used with one hand at all times! 32 fully-programmable keys are always within reach of your fingertips, and an analog stick (also programmable) rests beneath the thumb for those that prefer a hybrid keyboard/controller approach.
This keyboard is also an amazing solution for disabled gamers or those who simply like to keep the other hand firmly planted on the mouse!
What to Look for in a Keyboard for Xim Apex
Not just any keyboard will work with the Xim Apex! The following are the key features to consider when shopping for a keyboard to use with yours!
Many users have reported issues with keyboards that have special features such as LED screens, RGB lighting and others that cause high power draw. It’s almost impossible to know which keyboards will or won’t cross the line, as many RGB keyboards do work without issue. Which segues nicely to the next essential consideration…
While you might assume otherwise, wireless keyboards w/ dongles are especially great for this application! The reason being that they are battery-powered and therefore don’t run the risk of asking for more power than is available from the Xim Apex! To clarify, your best bet is to either get a wireless board, or one that isn’t loaded with RGB lighting and other power-hungry features!
Consider where you’re going to be sitting for your long gaming sessions, and plan accordingly! Sitting at a desk? You’re going to want a wrist rest! On the couch, with the keyboard in your lap? Go for a 60% board!
Last Updated on March 1, 2021