Perhaps the most common mistake made by burgeoning streamers is to underestimate the necessity of using the right microphone for the job. The biggest barrier to entry for many is the price; this handy guide is meant to set you on the right path to finding a perfect cheap microphone for streaming!
The Top-Rated Cheap Microphones for Streaming
|Top Pick||JLab Audio Talk Go||91%|
|Runner Up||Tonor TC-777||90%|
|Best Dynamic||Marantz Pro M4U||91%|
|Best for Headsets||Antlion Audio ModMic Uni||88%|
|Best for Lapel||No products found.||88%|
|Best for Small Spaces||Bonke B08662LX1S||87%|
Top Pick: JLab Audio Talk Go
- Bluetooth 2.0 support for streaming audio from compatible mobile devices and MP3 players
- Innovative wireless, wrap-around design
- Up to five hours of playback time between charges
- Includes seven tip sizes for a secure fit
- Micro USB cable for easy charging
The JLab Audio Talk Go is the best cheap microphone for streaming as it does everything you need it to do – and then some – without breaking the bank. This attractive unit is smaller than most but doesn’t skimp on sound quality or features.
The most unique feature is the reason it edges-out the competition for the top spot – this microphone can be used as a standard cardioid mic or, at the flick of a switch, an omnidirectional. Omnidirectional pickup is great for streamers who may want to speak in a group setting or conduct an interview without having to pass a mic around.
If you want a great mic, you’re on a budget and you don’t want to spend all day searching – go ahead and pick up the JLab Audio Talk Go and get to streaming!
Runner-Up: Tonor TC-777
- Plug and Play: With a USB 2.0 data port, the TC-777 is plug and play, no any additional driver is required. Ideal for conference, distance learning, streaming, chatting, podcasting, recording, Zoom, Skype, YouTube video, etc.
- Cardioid Pickup Pattern: This mic has a cardioid pickup pattern that captures the clear, smooth and crisp sound in front of the microphone and suppresses unwanted background noise.
- Easy to Install: Without any assembly, only need to unfold the three-legged stand directly and adjust the position of the pop filter, then it can be plug and play.
- Versatility: The shock mount can be unscrewed and attached to a boom stand with 5/8'' threaded insert directly. Note: If the threaded insert your stand comes with is 3/8'', then the 3/8'' female to 5/8'' male threaded screw adapter is needed (not included).
- What You Get: 1 x Microphone with Power Cord(1.5m), 1 x Foldable Mic Tripod, 1 x Mini Shock Mount, 1 x Pop Filter and 1 x Manual. (Note: It is not compatible with Xbox.)
The Tonor TC-777 is a great little microphone that does everything a streamer would need without adding any extra fluff or subsequent costs.
Users rave about this mic’s surprising quality in relation to its cost, and the simplicity of the unit means you’ll be joining them as quickly as you can plug it in.
If you want the quickest, no-fuss microphone on a budget, go with the Tonor TC-777
Best Dynamic: Marantz Pro M4U
- Everything You Need – Complete package with microphone, USB adapter & cable, mic cable and desk stand – Perfect for podcasts, voice-overs, streaming or recording musical performances
- Focussed, Detailed Recording - Premium electret condenser microphone with a wide-ranging frequency response and high-sensitivity
- No Latency, No Fuss - Dedicated headphone output to listen your performance in real-time without any latency
- Effortless Connectivity - Connect to a Mac or PC using the included USB A/D adapter and microphone cable for perfect capture of vocals, instruments and more
- Universal compatibility – Compatible with Windows and OSX operating systems
The Marantz Pro M4U is the best choice for those who want a solid dynamic mic for cheap. Dynamic mics are best for use in loud environments wherein streamers need to be able to isolate their voice from the surroundings. Many also use dynamic mics as they do a good job of leaving out mouse clicks and keyboard clacks!
If you’re in the market for a cheap dynamic mic, this is the best bet!
Best for Headsets: Antlion Audio ModMic Uni
- TURNS YOUR HEADPHONES TO THE ULTIMATE HEADSET - The newly engineered Antlion Audio ModMic Uni can be attached to any headphone style and provide communication in an instant.
- WORKS WITH GAME CONSOLES AND SMART DEVICES - You can also connect the ModMic Uni with Playstation 4, Xbox One, and USB-driven devices. All you need is a USB or Y adapter (sold separately).
- PRODUCES CLEARER AUDIO - The attachable boom microphone features a new noise-canceling unidirectional mic capsule and better interference shielding to deliver the clearest analog sound.
- OFFERS INSTANT MUTING - The ModMic Uni comes with an in-line analog mute switch, which provides instant silence.
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAC AND WINDOWS PC - The 3.5mm termination jack makes the ModMic Uni easy to plug-in on Windows PC right out of the box. You can also plug the microphone in a Mac laptop using a USB adapter.
The Antlion Audio ModMic Uni is a great alternative for streamers who have headphones that don’t include a microphone. Mounting directly on your headset, the ModMic Uni will provide a unique solution to users who eschew gaming headsets in favor of standard on-ear or over-ear cans.
If you want a mic that upgrades your favorite headphones into a great gaming headset, this is your pick!
Best for Lapel: XJLSY USB Lavalier Microphone
No products found.
The XJLSY USB Lavalier Microphone is ideal for streamers who want to create the illusion of not having a microphone at all! Lapel mics clip onto a shirt collar or virtually anywhere else within a short range of your mouth, and pickup sound from a tiny receiver.
It may not look like much, but this tiny unit does a great job of providing big sound for little money. If you want an ultra cheap and small microphone, you can’t go wrong with this one!
Best for Small Spaces: Bonke B08662LX1S
- 【Upgraded Functions Ever Seen】 You can adjust the volume and echo effect directly on microphone by turning knobs. You don't have to use professional software to get a better voice, but turning the knobs only.
- 【Plug & Play Design】 The microphone is designed to plug & play. You don't have to install any softwares or complex settings. Just connect to your Mac or Windows computers and start your first podcasting. (Notice: Not compatible with Xbox and Cellphone ends)
- 【360° Wide Range Adjustment】 The arm set is made of durable steel. It's easy to adjust every angle and height to match your working position. Also it can keep extremely stable. Just say no to shaking microphones.
- 【Professional Sound Quality】 There's professional sound chipset preset inside. With the soundproof cotton, your voice will appear to be as actual and clear as your real voice. It has cut off most unnecessary noise and returned the most actual sound for you.
- 【What's included】 The whole equipment in the image are available including: a). Condenser Microphone + b). Scissor Arm Stand + c). Shock Mount + d). pop filter + e). Windscreen Foam + f). Table Mounting Clamp + g). USB Cable
The Bonke B08662LX1S solves a problem that many streamers will run into when starting their new hobby or career – a lack of space for a microphone! This unit comes with a mounting arm and all necessary hardware to provide a unique solution to this very problem.
Clamping to a desk or other piece of furniture, this mic can be adjusted in any number of ways to bring itself to you, rather than you carving out a spot of your precious desk real estate! If you didn’t think you had space for a mic, grab this one now!
What to Look for in a Cheap Microphone for Streaming
When going cheap, corners must be cut. That doesn’t mean you can’t get a lot of bang for your buck! These are the most important factors to consider when buying a streaming mic on a budget:
There are various methods for powering and connecting microphones to your PC for streaming, and all of them introduce complications and likely require additional equipment for proper use. When searching for cheap microphones, play it safe and stick to USB!
Microphones come in a variety of configurations that dictate the directions from which they will pick up sound. For the majority of streamers, cardioid pattern microphones are the safest bet as they pick up sound only from the front and eliminate the need for additional software or special equipment in order to isolate clean sound. There are some exceptions though, especially when the microphone happens to have built-in noise cancelling! For the sake of keeping things simple, ensure that your microphone is either cardioid or has noise cancelling.
Condenser vs. Dynamic
Things are getting complicated, huh? Not to worry! Here’s the simple breakdown: Go with a condenser microphone unless you will be streaming from noisy environments! Dynamic mics generally require you to keep the device very close to your face and require you to speak loudly unless you have additional equipment that those on a budget will likely want to avoid purchasing!
Last Updated on March 1, 2021 by Thomas Bush