2-in-1 laptops take the best elements of tablets and merge them with traditional notebooks. Also commonly known as “convertibles”, the most common feature sets found in these niche laptops do not include discrete graphics cards and other hardware essential for gaming. That being said, there are a handful of solid gaming 2-in-1’s out there, and the web has been scoured to bring you a list of the absolute best among them!
The Top-Rated 2-In-1 Laptops for Gaming
|Top Pick||HP Envy x360||90%|
|Runner Up||Dell Inspiron 15||89%|
|Budget Pick||Lenovo Flex 15 Series||84%|
|Luxury Pick||Microsoft Surface Book 3||94%|
|Best for Professionals||Acer Spin 5||90%|
Top Pick: HP Envy x360
- 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 mobile processor
- 8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
- 256 GB Solid State Drive (PCI-e)
- 360° flip-and-fold design
- 15.6" Full HD multitouch screen
The HP Envy x360 earns top placement here by simply being the best overall 2-in-1 gaming laptop on the market! That may sound like a cheap cop-out, but further inspection will likely lead you to the same conclusion!
The best thing about this machine is the enormous variety of options to choose from when building yours – choice of 13” or 15” screen, black, silver or white body, AMD or Intel processors, AMD or Nvidia GPU… the list goes on! The newest, top-end options include the brand-new 11th-gen Intel i7 and NVIDIA GeForce MX330 GPU, which is enough to play just about any game on the market – extremely impressive for such a thin and light laptop that looks more suited to a boardroom than a gaming den!
If you’re looking for a surprisingly affordable convertible that doesn’t sacrifice anything in pursuit of gaming, HP Envy x360 is very easy to recommend!
Runner-Up: Dell Inspiron 15
- Intel Celeron Processor 4205U (2MB Cache, 1.8 GHz)
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
- Intel UHD Graphics 610
- 4 GB, 1 x 4 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
- 1 TB 5400 RPM 2.5-inch SATA Hard Drive
The Dell Inspiron 15 is pound-for-pound and dollar-for-dollar right up there with the top pick, and is absolutely worth your consideration. Dell’s perennial favorite recently made its crossover into convertible territory, and does so with flying colors!
Like the top pick, the Dell Inspiron 15 is available in a wide variety of configurations, but the biggest difference here is an optional Nvidia 1650ti GPU – which is hard to believe considering how slim this laptop is! While this gaming GPU’s presence will absolutely add a bit of heft to the bill, it will also afford gamers the ability to play virtually any game currently available at settings you’d only expect to see on dedicated gaming laptops or desktops.
If you want a great convertible that’s more than meets the eye, this may well be your top pick!
Budget Pick: Lenovo Flex 15 Series
- 2-IN-1 laptop: Easily change between four modes - Laptop, Stand, Tablet, and Tent
- 15.6" IPS LCD with LED Backlight FHD touchscreen (1920x1080) | Dedicated NVIDIA 940MX 2GB Graphics
- Intel Quad Core i7-8550U 1.80 GHz (Turbo 4.0 GHz, 4 Cores 8 Threads, 8MB SmartCache)
- 512GB SSD | 16GB DDR4 | Backlit Keyboard | 802.11AC + Bluetooth | FingerPrint Reader
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Onyx Black)
The Lenovo Flex 15 Series is another solid entry here that packs a lot of punch into a durable, flexible 2-in-1 form factor. This reliable workhorse is ready to multitask, with 10th Gen Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR4 Memory, and a 512GB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive – plus dedicated graphics in the form of an NVIDIA GeForce MX230. While this is the least-powerful of the GPU offerings on this list, it is more than enough to play most popular games well – and it does so with very low power draw.
Perhaps most importantly, this machine does everything it does without breaking the bank!
Lenovo has made a name for itself over the years by providing extremely competitive prices on attractive laptops at amazing value – and this one is not a departure from that!
Luxury Pick: Microsoft Surface Book 3
- Most powerful Surface laptop yet, with quad-core powered, 10th Gen Intel Core processors. More than 50% faster than Surface Book 2 13.5”.
- Power when you need it. Up to 15.5 hours battery life  — plus improved standby that extends battery life when you’re away.
- The connections you need, including USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slot.
- High-resolution PixelSense touchscreen display. Also available in 15”.
The Microsoft Surface Book 3 is a truly uncompromising 2-in-1 that does its thing better than anything on this list by a wide berth. Featuring a drop-dead-gorgeous 15” 4K screen, 32gb of RAM and a 10th-gen Intel i7 would be admirable enough – but Microsoft took their flagship laptop to the next level by wedging a Nvidia 1660ti GPU into the package!
The Microsoft Surface Book 3 spec sheet reads like a high-end gaming laptop, save for one important innovation – this thing is less than an inch thick! It truly boggles the mind that such a device exists, but the price tag will bring you right back down to Earth!
At just under $3,000 MSRP, the Microsoft Surface Book 3 is 50% more expensive than anything else on this list – but uncompromising gamers in search of the perfect convertible will have a hard time resisting the temptation!
Best for Professionals: Acer Spin 5
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor (Up to 3. 9GHz) 16GB LPDDR4X Memory 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 13.5" Acer VertiView 2K 2256 x 1504 Widescreen IPS LED-backlit Touch Display (3:2 aspect ratio) Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802. 11ax Backlit Keyboard fingerprint reader up to 15 hours battery life
- 2 - USB 3. 1 Type C port supporting USB 3. 1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps), DisplayPort over USB-C, Thunderbolt 3, USB Charging, DC-in, 2 - USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (one featuring power-off charging) & 1 - HDMI 2. 0 port
- Co-Engineered for Mobile Performance by Intel and Acer Rechargeable Acer Active Stylus with Wacom AES 1. 0
The Acer Spin 5 rounds out the list in style! This ultra-thin convertible is arguably the most handsome on the list, and is definitely the least-likely to be mistaken for a gaming laptop!
This little book will draw envious eyes in the boardroom and, surprisingly, the game room! In addition to great productivity capabilities, the Acer Spin 5 features an Nvidia 1050 GPU for impressive gaming chops!
As an added bonus, the Spin 5 has Amazon Alexa built-in, should that be something that tickles your fancy!
If you need the flexibility of a 2-in-1 that’s also a sleeper gaming machine, this is the absolute best convertible for you!
What to Look for in 2-In-1 Laptops for Gaming
The 2-in-1 category keeps getting wider and wider, to the point where it can be challenging to even begin shopping; this is further complicated if you want one that’s a capable gaming machine! The following are the most important things to keep in mind when shopping for yours:
You aren’t going to get absolute bleeding-edge graphics performance from a convertible; what you’ll lose in high-end gaming performance, you’ll gain in productivity! That being said, these things have made enormous leaps and recent years, and you can now get a 2-in-1 that will play virtually any game with respectable performance. The delta between the low-end and high-end GPUs is however massive, so make sure you’re getting one that plays your preferred games well.
The very best 2-in-1s have resolutions of 1080p or 4k and due to the fact that they’re all touchscreens, virtually all of them have 60hz refresh rates. With this in mind, consider that these graphics cards will likely actually output better-than-expected visual quality but at lower frames than hardcore gamers are typically used to. Casual gamers? Prepare to be blown away by the displays of some devices, especially those on this list!
You wouldn’t have your mind set on a 2-in-1 in the first place if you weren’t looking for the best of both a laptop and tablet in one package – don’t lose sight of that when searching for a device that also packs-in a GPU! Finally, if you’re just looking for a touchscreen (and don’t necessarily need your device to fold into a tablet), check out our guide to the best touchscreen gaming laptops.
Last Updated on March 1, 2021