While there are tons and tons of laptops of all shapes and sizes imaginable, 15” has proven to be the consumers’ sweet spot between potential and portability. Every player in the industry has at least one competitive product in this space, and it can be unbelievably intimidating to even begin shopping for a 15” gaming laptop! Not to worry though – the hard work has already been done – all you need to do is decide which of the following is best for you!
The Top-Rated 15-Inch Gaming Laptops
|Top Pick||MSI GS66 Stealth||90%|
|Runner-Up||Razer Blade 15 Base||89%|
|Budget Pick||Dell G3 15||88%|
|Luxury Pick||Alienware m15 R3||93%|
If you’re open to something slightly larger, also see our guide to the best 13-inch gaming laptops!
Top Pick: MSI GS66 Stealth
The MSI GS66 Stealth is the overall best 15” gaming laptop on the market today because it manages to do absolutely everything right without making a single misstep! Whereas every other machine on this list is an unequivocal winner – and deserving of a place in loving homes all over the world – they all fall short of the overall achievement of the MSI GS66 Stealth.
Featuring a bevy of high-end components that are every-so-slightly tuned to outperform the competition, the MSI GS66 Stealth manages to win-out in pretty much every benchmarking situation.
On top of the killer performance – killer look and feel! The matte black metal body looks more like a hacking rig than a gaming machine, and the glorious SteelSeries-designed keyboard looks sleek and classy when the RGB is turned-off or put on a reserved setting!
If you want the laptop that smokes the competition while keeping it’s cool – go with the MSI GS66 Stealth
Runner-Up: Razer Blade 15 Base
- More power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0 GHz max turbo and 6 cores.
- Supercharger: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics is a blazing-fast supercharger for today’s most popular games.
- More frames: Incredible performance paired with the fast 144Hz 15. 6" full HD thin bezel display helps edge out the win.
- Thin and compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0.78" thin.
- Ready to connect: Fully loaded with Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB type-A and type-C ports, and HDMI, for a desktop-class experience
The Razer Blade 15 Base is nipping at the heels of the top pick, and it’s fair to say that they’re on the same level in most regards. Whereas the maxed-out spec of the MSI laptop is a bit higher, the entry-level Razer pulls ahead. See a trend here? Even the matte black metal aesthetics are extremely similar here!
At the end of the day, it’s advised that you choose the specs you want, compare each laptop’s offerings and go with the one that costs less or is on sale!
Either way, you really can’t go wrong!
Budget Pick: Dell G3 15
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8300H Processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, up to 3.9 gigahertz w/Turbo Boost)
- 8GB 2666 megahertz DDR4 up to [32GB], (additional memory sold separately)
- 256 GB (SSD)
- 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti Glare, LED Backlit Display
- Be more productive. Windows 10 is the best for bringing ideas forward and getting things done. upto 4.1 gigahertz w/ Turbo Boost
The Dell G3 15 is a great budget gaming rig that actually doesn’t feel like a budget machine! Again featuring a very similar line of components to the others, the Dell Gaming G3 15 differentiates itself by having an entry level model that isn’t contested by the others on the list – featuring an Intel i5 and 8GB of memory. While the specs won’t blow your socks off, they are more than capable of running pretty much any game out there on low-to-medium settings at a great frame-rate!
If you want a great gaming experience without experiencing too much savings loss, the Dell Gaming G3 15 is a great choice!
Luxury Pick: Alienware m15 R3
- High-end materials like magnesium alloy, copper and steel provide a premium, lightweight and performance-driven gaming experience with iconic AlienFX lighting
- 144Hz 300nits 7ms Full HD for smooth, high-speed motion graphics
- Alienware Cryo-Tech optimizes component cooling, which maximizes overall performance and keeps your laptop cool to the touch
- FHD display with 7ms response time, 800:1 contrast ratio, 144Hz refresh rate and 300-nit brightness for pulse-racing gameplay
- At just 4.65lb and under 20.5mm, the new Alienware m15 is the thinnest laptop in Alienware history—even lighter and leaner than our previous m15
The Alienware m15 R3 continues the company’s fine tradition of churning-out unapologetically brash and brutish gaming laptops that spare no expense! Whereas the hardware is on-par with the high-end variants of the previous entries, this big boy has enough room left-over in its considerably stout chassis for unrivaled heat dissipation and active cooling systems – resulting in a louder-but-cooler machine that’s more than capable of running for absurd lengths of time for years to come!
If you’re a hardcore gamer who tends to become inseperable from their gaming baby, this is the one that you should chasing!
Best Portable: ASUS TUF
- Durability - Dual fans with anti-dust technology. Red-backlit keyboard rated for 20-million keystroke durability
- Portable design gaming Laptop with 0.98" Thin profile and weight of only 5.07 lbs
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8300H Processor and GeForce GTX 1050 2GB for superior gaming performance and multitasking
- 8GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | 1TB FireCuda SSHD | Windows 10 Home
- 15.6" Full HD IPS Level Display
The ASUS TUF makes its claim to fame in this space by thinking outside the box! The first thing many will notice upon inspecting the spec sheet is the inclusion of an AMD Ryzen 7 instead of an Intel i7; long story short, this translates to lower power draw and better multitasking versus the competition – at the expense of a bit of per-cpu performance. The result is a cooler, quieter machine that does great stuff for those who like to listen to podcasts or stream while gaming.
The most unique feature of the ASUS TUF, however, is it’s designation as MIL-STD-810 – meaning it’s designed to take a few drops and keep on powering through games!
If you want a laptop that’s made for the long haul, this one may be the best choice for you
What to Look for in a 15-Inch Gaming Laptop
It cannot be overstated how oversaturated this segment of the gaming laptop market is! Rest assured that every laptop on this list is beloved by those who own them, and focus on the following in order to decide which is best for you
15” gaming rigs can be found sub-$400 and well-above $4000 – and you should probably avoid anything near those price points! Virtually everything that’s both worthwhile and practical will fall between $800 (think Black Friday, not everyday MSRP) and $2400. The bulk of the competitive rigs will hover around the $1200-$1800 range, on average.
Most competitive 15” gaming laptop displays fall into one of 2 categories – 1080p/120hz+ or 4K/60hz. Unless you absolutely must have UHD, it is highly advised that you opt for FHD and high refresh. Why? Dramatically lower prices and considerably better gaming performance. It’s a borderline no-brainer!
Gamers often take for granted that their laptop of choice will excel at every task due to the sheer power contained in these shells – but that couldn’t be farther from the case!
While mid-range CPUs are perfectly fine for most games, you’ll be kicking yourself for deciding to get an i5 instead of spending a few more bucks should you ever decide to create content or stream. Also consider that the additional cost of taking that next-model-up tends to add not just power, but longevity – as system requirements increase for games and software 3-4 years from now, you’ll still be good to go!
Last Updated on March 1, 2021